Training at a Trade School

« Back to Home

Understanding The Different Driving Courses

Posted on

When you want to enrol in a driving course, you should at least have an idea of the kind of vehicle you want to drive and why. For example, you might just want to learn how to drive a typical saloon car to get by easily, while another person might want to learn how to drive and operate a large truck used for transporting heavy haulage.

Different Driving Courses

Depending on your needs, you might either enrol for driving courses that grant you one of the following licences: 

  1. Class C car licence—This is for small cars meant for getting by easily
  2. Class LR (Light Rigid) licence—This licence allows you to drive slightly bigger vehicles of up to a gross vehicle mass of 8000 kilograms. You can also carry more than 12 passengers and tow a trailer of a manufacturer recommended gross vehicle mass.
  3. Class MR (Medium Rigid) licence—This allows you to drive vehicles that have a gross vehicle mass of 8000 kilograms and above. You can also tow trailers of up to 9000 kilograms. However, the vehicle can only have a maximum of two axles.
  4. Class HR (Heavy Rigid) licence—This is similar to an MR, but you can handle vehicles with more than two axles.
  5. Class HC (Heavy Combination) licence—This licence allows you to attach one trailer of a gross vehicle mass greater than 9000 kilograms and a second trailer that does not exceed 9000 kilograms.
  6. Class MC (Multi Combination) licence—This licence allows you to attach more than one trailer and each can have a gross vehicle mass greater than 9000 kilograms.

Work Requirement

Since the reason why most people enrol in a heavy vehicle driving course is employment, you should know that you might be required to have other skills apart from competently driving the vehicle. Of course, you might find job ads requesting MR, HR, LR, HC or MC operators. You may discover that there might be other requirements for the goods being carried. For example, if you are transporting perishable goods in a refrigerated truck, do you have experience with refrigerated equipment, products and trucks?

As you enrol in your driving course, think about what products you want to carry so that you can also learn what there is to know about transporting the particular products. You may also be required to complete an OHS (Occupational Health and Safety) course. It might be mandatory so that you learn how to conduct work safely (avoid self-injury, injury to others and damage to equipment and property). To learn more, enrol in something like an HR driving course today.